Evaluation is a critical part of capturing and interpreting the learning that has been part of the field education experience.
Students and supervisors complete final evaluations for academic year and summer placements. Supervisors and students discuss completed evaluations in person before the student submits copies online to the Office of Ministry Studies.
Final Evaluation guidelines
Students and supervisors look back at the learning agreement and midyear evaluation to assess the progress made in the completion of the submitted learning goals.
In the written evaluation, typically 2–3 pages each, students and supervisors each indicate the ways in which actual experiences have contributed to the student’s learning and completion of the Arts of Ministry that were identified at the beginning of the year.
In these written evaluations please address:
- the student’s continued growth toward ministry, vocation and identity, naming observable behaviors and competencies demonstrated by the student at the site
- the student’s work in exploring the chosen Arts of Ministry as identified in the learning agreement and at the midpoint of the placement
- the student’s relationship with authority (her/his own and others)
- the ways in which the student’s ministry was received
- the content and a summary of the issues that were raised in supervision and theological reflection meetings
- the methods that were used to raise issues and structure important discussions
- how the relationship between the student and supervisor has been influential in the supervisory and reflection process
- any final remarks or recommendations that you would like to make for the student or the placement for the future
For academic year and summer placements, students and supervisors:
- should note the deadline and establish a time to meet in person to review the evaluations together at least one week prior to the deadline
- should schedule on their own calendars a time to write the evaluation (at least one week before the meeting to share evaluations)
- prepare separate written reflections on the field education experience
- exchange, review, and discuss the evaluations in person while the student is still on site
- make their revisions independently, meet and exchange the drafts once more and agree upon the final submission
- indicate any necessary revisions to the arts of ministry plans
Completing the Final Evaluation
- Students and supervisors meet in person to discuss their reflections and finalize their separate evaluations. They make any necessary revisions until final versions are agreed upon.
- Students upload to Canvas the mutually agreed upon separate electronic versions of the student’s self-evaluation and the supervisor’s evaluation and submit the completed final evaluation.
- Students save a copy of the evaluation at the time of submission.