The tuition and fees for the Summer Language Program 2021 are:
- Full tuition: $5,700
- Reduced tuition: $2,250
- Program fee: $400
- Non-refundable application fee: $50
- Tuition for auditing: $2,250
|If you are a...||And...||Your tuition||Program fee||Application fee|
|Full-time HDS degree candidate||Enrolled in SLP for the first time||None||Yes||Yes|
|Full-time HDS degree candidate||Enrolled in SLP after the first time||Reduced tuition||No||Yes|
|Part-time HDS degree candidate and those approved to pay on a per-course basis||Reduced tuition||No||Yes|
|HDS ThD students||Paying full tuition in fall 2021||None||No||No|
|PhD student in the Study of Religion program||Entered the program fall 2015 or later and paying full tuition in the fall of 2021||None||No||No|
|PhD student in the Study of Religion program||Entered the program before fall 2015||Reduced tuition||No||Yes|
|HDS nondegree student||Full tuition||No||Yes|
|HDS special student||Full tuition||No||Yes|
|Recently graduated HDS student (this past academic year)||Reduced tuition||No||Yes|
|A Boston Theological Interreligious (BTI) Consortium student||Student will be enrolled full-time in the fall of 2021 at one of the BTI partner-schools||Reduced tuition||No||Yes|
|Non-HDS student||Full tuition||No||Yes|
|Auditor (not for credit)||Reduced tuition||No||Yes|
- Any student/participant in the SLP may only take one language per SLP.
- Applicants/students need to be at least at the college-level to take the intensive SLP courses. High school students are not admitted to the SLP courses.
- Unfortunately, no financial aid is available to assist incoming and/or current HDS students with application and/or program fees at this time. Please note that you may also take the SLP courses in a less intensive version throughout the academic year as regular language courses.
- Please note that the non-refundable application fee ($50) can only be paid via Touchnet/through the application system. We are unfortunately unable to accept cash or checks at this point. Our apologies for any inconvenience.
- The SLP is not approved for VA education benefits.
Full-time HDS degree students who will be enrolled the following fall may participate once in the Summer Language Program and have it covered by normal term tuition. That is, first-time participation will not affect tuition. However, fees (application and program fees) are required. The non-refundable application fee is due upon application to the program and the program fee is due at registration.
If you are a current MDiv student, please keep the rules regarding the SLP and Field Education in mind.
Part-time students and those who pay on a per course basis may participate in the Summer Language Program and have it count toward the requirements of their degree, provided:
- They will be registered in the fall;
- They pay the additional program fee of $400 (in addition to the $50 application fee); information is forthcoming regarding Touchnet.
- They pay additional tuition in the fall equal to normal tuition for two half courses.
The additional tuition paid for the SLP will apply toward these students' overall required tuition (tuition equivalent to 16 half courses for MTS students, 24 half courses for MDiv students, and 8 half courses for ThM students). Fall term financial aid awards may be adjusted to help pay for the additional SLP tuition.
If you are a current HDS student (or recent HDS graduate), you may enroll in the SLP multiple times for the cost of the application fee, plus the reduced tuition.
Students from BTI Consortium member schools qualify for the reduced tuition if they will be enrolled full-time in the fall of 2021 at one of the BTI Consortium partner-schools.
Please note that the SLP is a separate program from the courses that take place during the academic year at the Harvard Divinity School. Therefore, the payment of tuition and fees for the SLP at HDS are not covered under the cross-registration agreements within the BTI Consortium. It is the responsibility of each BTI Consortium student to work with their home school to determine financial aid eligibility and payment for the SLP courses.
Non-HDS students, HDS nondegree students, and HDS ThD students paying reduced tuition are required to pay the Summer Language Program tuition at registration.
HDS ThD students paying full tuition in the fall 2021 are not required to pay SLP tuition nor the application and program fees.
All doctoral students who entered the Study of Religion program as of the fall 2015 and forward, who are paying full tuition in the fall of 2021, are also not required to pay SLP tuition nor the application and program fees.
All PhD students, who entered the doctoral program before the fall of 2015, need to pay the application fee and reduced SLP tuition.
Application fees and tuition payments apply.
Auditing the SLP is possible (not for course credit); however, application fees and tuition payments apply (see above for the amount). Please contact the SLP director if you would like to audit a course.
Course withdrawal dates and refund schedule for SLP 2021
Students can withdraw their registration subject to the following refund schedule:
On or before June 15, 2021: 100 percent refund
Between June 16 and June 21, 2021: 50 percent refund
No refunds after June 21, 2021.