Applicants may apply for admission to HDS up to three times, regardless of the program or combination of programs. (Note that current HDS degree candidates, special students, and alumni are not considered previous applicants.)
If you applied for admission for an academic year other than 2017–18, 2018–19, and 2019–20 and have not exceeded three applications in total, you are eligible to reapply; however, you must resubmit all official supporting documents with your application.
If you applied for admission for the 2017–18, 2018–19, 2019–20 academic year, and have not exceeded three applications in total, you are eligible to reapply and may reuse certain components from a previous application. Please note that materials on file are subject to verification. The Office of Admissions may contact you to request resubmission of supporting materials as needed.
Eligible previous applicants interested in reusing components from previous applications should submit the reapplication form two weeks prior to the application deadline, and prior to submitting the application for admission, as some submission requirements may be waived as a result. (Please note that in order to access this form, you must initiate an online application.) In addition, you must submit the following materials by the application deadline:
- New online application form
- Application fee of $75 or approved waiver (please note that in order to access the fee waiver request form, you must initiate an online application)
- Updated résumé or curriculum vitae
- At least one new official letter of recommendation, from a previous recommendation provider or a new recommendation provider
- New or updated statement of purpose
- New or updated writing sample (MDiv and MTS applicants only)
- Valid TOEFL score report (if applicable), if your previous TOEFL score report is now invalid.
You do not need to resend the following:
- Your current official transcripts, if nothing has changed since your previous application (e.g., graduation date, final grades)
- Your official TOEFL score report on file if it is valid as of this year's application deadline for your program (please contact ETS if you have any questions about whether your GRE score is valid)
Previous applicants who request reuse of eligible materials from a previous application will receive an email from the Office of Admissions. This email will serve as a notification of their eligibility to reuse the appropriate credentials from a previous application.