The Experiential Learning Fund is provided by HDS Student Services and exists to promote the engagement of HDS students in training, practice, and/or activism related to the student's scholarly and vocational goals. For questions or advice, please contact Tim Whelsky, Associate Dean for Enrollment and Student Services.
It is intended to facilitate unique opportunities of short duration that fit within the academic year, such as experiences during spring break, winter recess, or an extended weekend. Preference is usually given to students who will be engaging in direct experience with communities. However, online experiences that are longer but of reasonable duration to not interfere with classwork are also acceptable.
Note that during COVID-19 restrictions, University-related travel is restricted to locations within the United States, but may suddenly change. Each request will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Funding will be in the form of a travel grant, which may only be used for transportation expenses (when allowed), or certain registration fees.
- Only experiences that will be completed before June 30, 2022 are eligible.
- Lodging, meals, and incidentals are not reimbursable.
- Not all students who apply will receive funding.
- Eligible students must in be full-time enrollment and in good-standing.
- This fund is not intended for traditional professional or academic conferences.
- The total sponsorship is capped at $500.
- Unused funding must be returned or will be billed to the student account.
Summer and Fall 2021 awards
Deadline: Noon, Friday, October 29, 2021
Notifications: Thursday, November 4, 2021
Winter and Spring 2022 awards
Deadline: Noon, Friday, February 11, 2022
Notifications: Thursday, February 17, 2022
The application deadline for this cycle has passed.
Questions may be directed to Tim Whelsky, Associate Dean for Enrollment and Student Services, at 617.496.8641 or firstname.lastname@example.org.