Admissions & Aid: Application Process

What if I am currently a student and won’t have my fall semester grades by the application deadline?

You should upload a transcript with grades through the preceding term. Please report your GPA up through the prior semester, if applicable.

It is generally not necessary to provide an updated transcript with fall semester grades during the application review process. However, if you are admitted to HDS and choose to matriculate, you will be required to submit an official, final transcript showing all grades received and degree(s) conferred in the summer prior to enrollment.

Do I need to provide transcripts for study abroad programs?

If you studied abroad and your courses and grades are listed on your home institution's transcript, then you do not need to upload a separate study abroad transcript. If the coursework and grades for your study abroad program are not listed on your home institution's transcript, then you are required to upload a separate transcript from your study abroad program that shows the coursework and grades.

Do I need to provide transcripts for non-degree classes?

Yes. Transcripts from each postsecondary institution attended (including work done at any school of Harvard University) showing all undergraduate and graduate work are required. If admitted, you will be asked to provide official transcripts from all institutions you attended, including institutions from which you did not earn a degree.

How do I submit my transcript?

Applicants are required to upload unofficial transcripts from each postsecondary institution that they have attended in the academic history section of the application. All transcripts should show courses completed, grades received, duration of study, and degree or diploma received, if applicable.

Please keep in mind that you will need to provide official transcripts (and translations, if applicable) for verification, should you be admitted. HDS reserves the right to withdraw an admissions offer if there is a discrepancy between an applicant’s uploaded transcript and official...

Read more about How do I submit my transcript?

May I request a fee waiver?

If you are experiencing an economic hardship that prevents you from paying the $25 application fee, you may request a fee waiver. Please contact the Office of Admissions at 617.495.5796 or to request access to the form. Application fee waivers are subject to approval.

What is the institutional code for HDS? (Applies to both GRE and TOEFL)

Our HDS Institution Code is 3433. Once you are ready to send your scores, please provide this code to ETS. Otherwise, our office will not receive them. Please note, if we receive multiple sets of scores from you before the application deadline, the Admissions Committee will consider all scores received.

What is your deferment policy?

Deferments are rarely granted, and we expect applicants to apply for the academic year in which they intend to enroll. However, occasionally an admitted student encounters a family emergency or change of circumstances, and we grant deferments on a case-by-case basis.