To reach the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) in an emergency, call 617.495.1212.
The Harvard University Police Department is committed to assisting all members of the Harvard community in providing for their own safety and security. The HUPD website also offers a number of safety tips and resources, bicycle registration, and information on escort and shuttle services. These are just a few of the suggested safety practices they recommend.
In your residence:
- Always keep your doors and windows locked.
- Let a friend or roommate know where and with whom you'll be out, and when you will be returning.
- Determine who is outside your door before you open it.
- Never allow anyone you do not know to enter the building.
- Lock your door, even if you are just going down the hall for a minute.
Out and about:
- If you suspect you are being followed, stay away from dimly lit areas and head for a store or building that you know to be open. If you feel uncomfortable about someone near you, head for a populated area.
- Know the locations of "Blue Light" emergency phones on campus.
- Remain alert and aware at all times. Do not wear headphones.
- If you are out after dark, use only well-lit routes.
- Make use of shuttle buses or the evening van service, 617.495.0400, and the Harvard University Campus Escort Program (HUCEP), 617.384.8237.
- Travel in groups when possible.
- Look confident when you walk. Make eye contact with passersby, and keep a firm grip on your personal belongings.
To reach HUPD in an emergency, call 617.495.1212.
Annual Security and Fire Safety Reports
The University is required by federal law (The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, 20 U.S.C. 1092(f), known as the “Clery Act”) to publish an Annual Security Report and an Annual Fire Safety Report.
The Harvard University Police Department publishes the Annual Security Report, entitled “Playing it Safe,” which includes information about the HUPD, how to report a crime, HUPD’s crime prevention programs, substance abuse, sensitive crimes, emergency notifications, and other important information about security and HUPD services on campus. It also contains three years of statistics on reported campus or campus-related crimes. A hard copy of “Playing it Safe” may be obtained by contacting the Harvard University Police Department at 1033 Massachusetts Avenue, 6th floor, Cambridge, MA 02138, 617.495.9225.
The Harvard University Environmental Health and Safety Department publishes the Annual Fire Safety Report, which includes fire safety polices, evacuation procedures, and fire statistics. A hard copy of the Annual Fire Safety Report may be obtained by contacting Environmental Health and Safety Department at 46 Blackstone Street, Cambridge, MA 02139, 617.496.7168.
The 2020 Annual Security Report is available at www.hupd.harvard.edu/annual-security-report.
The 2020 Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.ehs.harvard.edu/programs/higher-education-opportunity-act-heoa.