International Applicants

International credentials

International applicants must submit all standard application materials outlined on the How to Apply page. HDS requires original official documents in the original language, and a notarized/certified translation of all materials that are not in English. All other materials must be submitted in English.

English language proficiency 

The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for all applicants whose native language is not English. No test other than the TOEFL will be acceptable as proof of English proficiency. The test must have been taken on or after February 1, 2013 if you are applying for enrollment in the 2015–2016 academic year.

Applicants are not required to submit TOEFL scores if they completed their baccalaureate degree at an institution where the sole language of instruction is English. All applicants who have completed a baccalaureate at a college or university where English was the sole language of instruction are required to provide transcripts from these institutions as well as documentation of the language of instruction.

The ETS school code for HDS is 3433.

Please note that a major or concentration in English is not sufficient to waive the TOEFL requirement. Additionally, completion of graduate-level degrees at an institution where the instruction is conducted in English does not exempt an applicant from the TOEFL requirement.

The required minimum TOEFL scores are listed below.

Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation Scholars, Special students, MDiv, and MTS applicants must receive a score of:

  • 100 or higher on the Internet-based test, or
  • 600 or higher on the paper-based test.

ThM applicants must receive a score of:

  • 105 or higher on the Internet-based test, or
  • 620 or higher on the paper-based test.

Student visas

Once students have been admitted as degree candidates, Harvard University requires international students who need a Harvard-sponsored student visa to submit financial certification that demonstrates adequate funding for one year of study. Detailed instructions regarding this process will be available upon admission to HDS. Please note that admitted international students requesting J-1 or F-1 visas are required to enroll full-time.