Latest Update: April 2, 2020
In a statement to the wider University community on March 20, Harvard President Larry Bacow said that this year's Commencement, which would have taken place on May 28, must be postponed. However, each School at Harvard, including HDS, will host its own special online event and afterwards deliver diplomas through mail. Once it is safe to gather together again, an in-person celebration will occur.
Harvard University Updates
- Classes moved fully online on Monday, March 23, 2020.
- Read a message from Harvard University Executive Vice President Katie Lapp about the continued pay and benefits for Harvard employees and contract workers who are unable to perform their normal duties during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Harvard University's coronavirus information site is updated regularly with information and resources.
HDS Updates: Teaching and Learning
- Students: familiarize yourselves with HU's Learn Remotely resources
- Faculty: review HU's Teach Remotely resources
- HDS Teach, Learn, & Work Remotely guidance, on the HDS intranet (HarvardKey login required.)
- Andover-Harvard Theological Library will be closed until further notice, starting Monday, March 16. Most library staff are working from home and offering many services remotely. Connect with a librarian for advice on developing your research strategy and locating sources from a distance.
Health and Safety
- Spiritual and religious resources from the HDS Office of the Chaplain and Religious and Spiritual Life
- Important resource from Harvard University Health Services: Do I need to self-isolate for COVID-19? (PDF)
- HDS Public Events Calendar: events on campus will be cancelled, postponed, or changed from in-person to live-streamed or recorded (audio and/or video). The latest information on each event will appear in the calendar listing. Check the calendar if you are uncertain as to the status of any event.
- The Summer Language Program at HDS will be offered online and for course credit from June 15, 2020, to August 6, 2020. We continue to accept applications. Be sure to enroll by May 8, 2020.
- Career Services: information on accessing services and resources
- Continuing and Executive Education: still scheduled for now; check site for updates
- Admissions: on-campus admissions events are canceled. Online resources will be emailed to accepted students
- Summer international placements have been canceled, specifically The Greeley International Internship, summer international field education placements, and Buddhist Ministry summer international study grants.
- Updates from the HDS Registrar on office hours, exam schedules, ordering transcripts, and important deadline info. for changing grade options/withdrawing from a course.
- Language Qualifying Exams at HDS will take place on Friday, May 1, 2020. All students planning to take an exam must pre-register by April 28, specifying the exam to be taken, by emailing email@example.com. Students requiring special accommodations must request them at the time of pre-registration.
- Departmental mail delivery has been suspended. All mail will be sent to a designated member of each department at their home address.
- Rock Café will be closed until further notice, starting Tuesday, March 17, per the directive from Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker. We are working with Jules Catering to reopen when circumstances warrant.
From HDS Dean David N. Hempton
- March 23, 2020
- March 13, 2020
- March 10, 2020 (includes statement from Harvard President Lawrence Bacow)
Zoom training sessions for the resumption of classes online have been completed. Resources:
- Zoom troubleshooting tips (PDF) from Harvard University Information Technology
- Network troubleshooting tips (PDF) from Harvard University Information Technology
- HDS teach, learn, and work remotely guidance (requires HarvardKey login)
For other questions, contact Kama Lord of IT and Media Services.
Most HDS staff have moved to remote work. Resources:
- Teach, learn, and work remotely guidance (requires HarvardKey login)
- Living and Working During Social Distancing (PDF), from Harvard Divinity School Human Resources, has many resources for you and your family: online feeds from museums and cultural institutions, music and educational sites, zoos and more.
- Coronavirus Workplace Policies from Harvard Human Resources includes valuable information such as remote work preparedness, back-up dependent care, sick time, the Employee Assistance program, and more.