HDS Institutional Grants

To make an HDS education affordable, the large majority of scholarship aid for MDiv and MTS candidates is awarded based on demonstrated financial need. We strongly encourage all MTS and MDiv students to apply for need-based financial aid.

The Admissions Committee determines merit-based awards, which represent about 10 percent of each year’s institutional grants. Merit awards generally include a full-tuition grant and a modest stipend to assist with living expenses (typically in the $12,000–$20,000 range beginning with the 2022-23 academic year). Merit awards are generally renewed from year to year provided the student maintains satisfactory academic progress and remains in the original program admitted to.

Need-based awards range from 75 percent tuition to full tuition. In addition to tuition grants, a small pool of stipend assistance will be offered to students with the highest levels of financial need. Typically $12,000 beginning with the 2022-23 academic year.

Need-based awards are reviewed every year. While they generally remain consistent for years two and/or three of the program. Note: Financial aid awarding policies are subject to change.

Students in the Master of Theology (ThM) or Master in Religion and Public Life (MRPL) program who are U.S. citizens or eligible noncitizens may qualify for federal funds and/or private loans. HDS does not provide grant support for the ThM or MRPL programs. Special students are not eligible for institutional or federal aid.

Funding for the PhD program is awarded strictly by merit.

Calculation of financial need

Each individual's financial need is calculated based on the information provided on the form(s) that make up the student's financial aid application. Financial aid awards may be subject to change if supplementary documentation (i.e., tax transcripts, bank statements, etc.) indicates significant changes from the information originally reported on the form. The "student contribution" derived from this calculation is then used to package grant dollars from HDS. This formula has been designed to provide an equitable system for the awarding of available institutional funds. Due to limited funding, HDS cannot guarantee to meet full need.

It is the student's responsibility to notify the Office of Financial Aid of any changes to his or her financial aid application, such as a change in marital status, change in household size, or receipt of outside gifts or awards. These changes may result in an adjustment to a student's award.

Grant support for MDiv and MTS candidates

Master's candidates may apply for grant support during the period in which they are being charged tuition. Students who extend their program beyond the necessary degree requirements are ineligible for institutional support. Students who extend their academic program but who are still within the necessary degree requirements should consult with the financial aid office to determine if they would be eligible to continue receiving grant support. Students receiving stipend support should note that stipends are provided only for the duration of the traditional length of their program (two years for the MTS and three years for the MDiv). United States citizens and permanent residents may apply for federal funds to assist with the added costs of extending their program.

Grant support for ThD/PhD candidates

HDS recently changed its doctoral designation from ThD to PhD in Religion. Those currently in the ThD program will continue to be candidates for the ThD; the first cohort of PhD candidates entered in fall 2015. This section pertains to both current ThD candidates and future PhD candidates.

Admitted PhD candidates will be sent their financial aid award by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Students who began their program prior to the 2015–16 academic year will be packaged according to the policies at the time they entered.

Doctoral candidates are not typically eligible for federal funds during years one and two. In years three and beyond, students can apply for federal aid, but will be required to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for that academic year.