Faculty Dean, Eliot House, Harvard College
Fall 2022, Spring 2023
- BA, Greensboro College
- MA, PhD, University of Chicago
Stephanie Paulsell has been a member of the HDS faculty since 2001. She is the author of Religion Around Virginia Woolf (2019), co-editor (with Davíd Carrasco and Mara Willard) of Goodness and the Literary Imagination (2019), and has served as a regular columnist for The Christian Century since 2007. Her work focuses on religion and literature, Christian spirituality, and the spiritually formative dimensions of the practices of reading and writing. Recent courses include “Virginia Woolf and Religion,” “Contemplative Prayer in Christianity,” “Emily Dickinson: ‘the extasy define—,’” “Seeking God: A History of Christian Spirituality in Twelve Lives," and a seminar on the twentieth-century monastic writer, Thomas Merton.
Paulsell’s other publications include Lamentations and the Song of Songs (co-authored with Harvey Cox, 2012), Honoring the Body: Meditations on a Christian Practice (2002) and The Scope of Our Art: The Vocation of the Theological Teacher (2001), co-edited with L. Gregory Jones. She is an ordained minister in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and lives in Cambridge with her husband, Kevin Madigan, where they serve as Faculty Deans of Eliot House in Harvard College.
- Religion Around Virginia Woolf (Pennsylvania State University Press, 2019)
- Goodness and the Literary Imagination (University of Virginia Press, 2019)
- Lamentations and the Song of Songs: A Theological Commentary on the Bible (Westminster John Knox Press, 2012)
- Honoring the Body: Meditations on a Christian Practice (Jossey-Bass, 2003)
- The Scope of Our Art: The Vocation of the Theological Teacher (Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2001)
To reach Harvard Divinity School's faculty coordinators, email email@example.com.
- HDS Master of Divinity Program
- What's Said in the Dark Will Be Heard in the Light (Morning Prayers, The Memorial Church, October 2016)
- Stephanie Paulsell in The Christian Century
- Review of Patti Smith's 'Just Kids,' Harvard Divinity Bulletin
- "Reading St. Therese," Harvard Divinity Bulletin
- "Devotion in the Study of Religion," Harvard Divinity Bulletin
For media inquiries or requests, please contact Michael Naughton in the Office of Communications.