A completed application for the MDiv, MTS, and ThM programs consists of the following:
- Online application form
- Application fee of $25 or approved waiver (please note that in order to access the fee waiver request form, you must initiate an online application)
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- Complete academic history with transcripts for all coursework taken for credit
- Three letters of recommendation (submitted electronically through our online application system)
- Statement of purpose—1,000 words
- Writing sample—1,000–1,500 words
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (required of some international applicants only; see instructions)
- Optional: GRE General Test Scores
Preparing for your application
Careful planning will allow you to put forth a thoughtful, cohesive application. As you begin to prepare your materials, you may want to consider taking these initial steps: update your résumé or curriculum vitae, register and study for the GRE, write an initial draft of your statement of purpose, discuss your application plans with your recommendation providers, research outside scholarships and funding sources, and plan your finances early by learning more about the cost of attendance and financial aid available through HDS.
Dates and Deadlines
The 2021 application for admission deadline is January 7, 2021, at 11:59 pm EST. All applicants will be notified of their decision in mid-March.
PhD application information
The PhD program is jointly offered with the Committee on the Study of Religion. Visit the Harvard University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences website for both the application and comprehensive information about admissions requirements.